I’m thinking about how to backup personal data, we can divide them into groups which according to their importance, file size, and privacy.
- Important, Big size, Sensitive: Computer full disk data.
- Important, Small size, Sensitive: key information, like daily.
- Unimportant, Middle size, Sensitive: photos.
- Unimportant, Big size, insensitive: film, comics.
We can use different methods to backup them, vary in price, space, security, and usability:
- Encrypted online backup service: high price, small space, secure, hard to use.
- Online backup service: fair price, small space, insecure, easy to use.
- NAS/Portable disk drive: low price, big space, secure, hard to use.
So, this is the method I’m using now:
- Use timemachine to backup computer into portable disk drive.
- Use lastpass to keep website and server password.
- Use dropbox to save and sync notes, photos, and documents, I extended it to 20G.
- Use portable disk drive to backup film, music and comics.